Just like pink is the color for breast cancer awareness and red the for AIDS awareness, orange is the symbolic color for hunger relief and September is the month for hunger action. This is why perhaps you've been seeing all of the calls to "go Orange" in September.
In this way, September is the month when orange really is the new black for hunger fighters (or given the fact that child nutrition programs are set to expire at the end of the month, perhaps orange is the new Child Nutrition Reauthorization?).
Throughout the month of September, our food banks and food banks across the nation in the Feeding America will be holding events for people to get involved and go orange. You can find a list of local Wisconsin events here on our events page.
In addition, here are a couple of quick ideas and links to some other fun ways you might want to get involved this month.
- Wear orange on Thursday, 9/3, take a photo, post it to social media and tag your local food bank.
- Donate a "Spoon Selfie" for "Spoontember" (bonus points for selfie stick usage).
- Donate your social media to the cause on Hunger Action Day by joining our Thunderclap.
- The new food insecurity numbers will be released next week. Join this USDA webinar on 9/9 at Noon CST to learn how we did last year to combat hunger.
- Join Mario Batali in a Virtual Town Hall on Thursday, 9/10 at 3 pm CST to discuss Child Nutrition Reauthorization.
- Sign our petition calling on Congress for strong child nutrition programs and share it on your social media with all of your friends.
- Snap a picture of your #RuralViews and #StompinGrounds and post to social media to enter Badgerland Financial's #LoveMyLand photo contest. Every entry equals $1 for our food banks and over the course of two months over 3,000 meal equivalents have been donated along with some unbelievably beautiful photos of our state.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the Virtual Town Hall with Mario Batali on 9/10 to chat about Child Nutrition Reauthorization. Maybe we can make #OrangeIsTheNewCNR a thing?